Lately I find myself wondering what it's like to be 2. Everything looks interesting, fun and exciting. There's always something to touch and something to carry around. Well, as a mother, I can't take it anymore!!!!! Like many young girls, my daughter loves purses and insists on carrying them around the house and likes to take one wherever we may go. There's a whole purse hierarchy. If one is missing, she goes to the next, then the next, then the next. On occasion she actually is savvy enough to select one that somewhat goes with her outfit. For her, the benefit of carrying a little purse is she is able to pack around all of her special treasures and always have them accessible. The downside for me is that all of these precious items are strewn about throughout every room in the house and my car. I'll admit that I have a little problem. As I mentioned in a previous post, I love Little Miss Sunshine to engage in art and sensory activities. I don't mind that kind of mess. I just can't stand the random puzzle pieces, keys, and bristle blocks that show up everywhere. Here comes another confession of a somewhat uptight mother: I count pieces to toys and recount them when they are put away to make sure no pieces are missing. Now you see why this packing around really strikes a nerve. I'd imagine that all of you more seasoned mothers are chuckling to yourselves, thinking, "just wait". Hopefully it will pass, but my husband reminds me that I have years and years left of STUFF.
- Swimmingmom
- From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.
Friday, January 30, 2009
A Toddler's World
Lately I find myself wondering what it's like to be 2. Everything looks interesting, fun and exciting. There's always something to touch and something to carry around. Well, as a mother, I can't take it anymore!!!!! Like many young girls, my daughter loves purses and insists on carrying them around the house and likes to take one wherever we may go. There's a whole purse hierarchy. If one is missing, she goes to the next, then the next, then the next. On occasion she actually is savvy enough to select one that somewhat goes with her outfit. For her, the benefit of carrying a little purse is she is able to pack around all of her special treasures and always have them accessible. The downside for me is that all of these precious items are strewn about throughout every room in the house and my car. I'll admit that I have a little problem. As I mentioned in a previous post, I love Little Miss Sunshine to engage in art and sensory activities. I don't mind that kind of mess. I just can't stand the random puzzle pieces, keys, and bristle blocks that show up everywhere. Here comes another confession of a somewhat uptight mother: I count pieces to toys and recount them when they are put away to make sure no pieces are missing. Now you see why this packing around really strikes a nerve. I'd imagine that all of you more seasoned mothers are chuckling to yourselves, thinking, "just wait". Hopefully it will pass, but my husband reminds me that I have years and years left of STUFF.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
you ARE a good mom. :) i actually never really had a pack rat, my sister on the other hand has 3 girls and they ALL did that. my poor sister. i think it's cute that she is so into purses.
I feel your pain. I still count toys. Shhh! don't tell anyone.
You are so cute with Little Miss Sunshine. You're very creative with her!
Okay, the fact that you count things totally made me laugh, because I'm the same way! I even count my silverware. :)
The only thing that helps my sanity is LOTS of ziplock bags, fully labeled.You can turn it into a fun "game" for toddlers to "find" the pieces and put them in their place. At this age they are so helpful and enjoy pleasing mommy...take advantage of it while it lasts!!
The dump and strew age is such a joy-NOT! Well to them it is to us it is constant stuff everywhere! I fell your pain!
I DO DO DO feel your pain... and now that my three girls are 12, 10 and 8, the purses only multiply like rabbits. And now they put important things in their purses, like wallets and chapstick and homework assignments, and then panic when they can't remember which purse it is in, or where they put it... I spent YEARS as an anti-purse mom, but now I embrace the big bag thing myself, and losing things at the bottom. You'll make it--and she'll love you!
Post a Comment