
Admittedly, I had all good intentions of losing the binkie at 6 months like all the books recommend. It seemed like there was always an excuse: me working for the summer while Little Miss Sunshine was under Grandma's care, colds, ear infections, etc. Just one more week. No, ok, I'll wait until the end of the summer, etc. etc.
As her second birthday neared I decided we needed to take care of this before the new baby arrives in the spring. Little Miss Sunshine has the transition to a big girl bed, toilet training, and becoming a big sister all in the months ahead.
I remembered a young preschooler with autism whom I taught years ago. He was not toilet trained, but would say, "5 years old, no more diapers". Sure enough at 5 years old, he was instantaneously toilet trained. So, I decided I'd plant a little seed in my daughter and tell her "2 years old, no more binkie" several weeks before her birthday until she was saying it herself. Well,her birthday arrived and we decided to at least let her enjoy her day, and the fun, (or sadness), began the day after. Oh, and she only uses it during naps or bedtime.
Little Miss Sunshine helped throw them in the trash herself. I made sure they were in there with the dirty diapers so there would be no chance of me trying to pull them out in retreat. She's had a bit of a tough time falling asleep and we did have a little visitor in our bed last night. I know, or hope, in a few days she will be just fine. I've been surprised how I have felt a bit sad lately, like I've lost my crutch too. I suppose it's hard to admit that our children are growing before our eyes.
As her second birthday neared I decided we needed to take care of this before the new baby arrives in the spring. Little Miss Sunshine has the transition to a big girl bed, toilet training, and becoming a big sister all in the months ahead.
I remembered a young preschooler with autism whom I taught years ago. He was not toilet trained, but would say, "5 years old, no more diapers". Sure enough at 5 years old, he was instantaneously toilet trained. So, I decided I'd plant a little seed in my daughter and tell her "2 years old, no more binkie" several weeks before her birthday until she was saying it herself. Well,her birthday arrived and we decided to at least let her enjoy her day, and the fun, (or sadness), began the day after. Oh, and she only uses it during naps or bedtime.
Little Miss Sunshine helped throw them in the trash herself. I made sure they were in there with the dirty diapers so there would be no chance of me trying to pull them out in retreat. She's had a bit of a tough time falling asleep and we did have a little visitor in our bed last night. I know, or hope, in a few days she will be just fine. I've been surprised how I have felt a bit sad lately, like I've lost my crutch too. I suppose it's hard to admit that our children are growing before our eyes.


4 comments:
i SO feel your pain....i missed the binki as much as Jane did!
Good for you, that's a hard thing to do...you'll be glad you did it before the baby.
6 months? Wow - I'm way behind! lol Thomas got rid of his at 3 years - and we did the same thing... he knew that on his 3rd birthday he had to say goodbye.
Good luck! I've been there, and while the first few days can be tricky, it's all worth it!!
a little long binki never hurt right-
Post a Comment