My photo
From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Healthy Hearts


With the 14 Days of Valentines soon approaching, I thought I would attempt to be a bit more organized with it this year and actually plan ahead rather than waiting until each day wondering what I would do.

Since my natural inclination for all things is chocolate, especially with Valentine's Day, I feel I need to make a course correction this year. This year for the 14 Days of Valentine's I'm going to have a Healthy Heart theme. Naturally I will allow a couple of treats, but when food is involved, I am going to try to make them healthy. Instead of our traditional. Valentine Milkshakes with ice cream, I'll replace it with yogurt. I'll make brownies with hidden good for you things.


Instead of heart shaped chocolate chip pancakes, I'll make these, recipe compliments of my friend Melissa. Of course a cheesy note about "sweetness" will be placed on the plate.


Sweet Potato Pancakes
1/2 Cup water
1/2 Sweet potato puree
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup pancake mix

Combine all ingredients and make pancakes as usual.
* Puree- peel, cut and steam sweet potato. Puree in food processor. 1 sweet potato = 1 1/2 cups

More importantly, I plan on doing more activities that will help to make my family's heart (spirit) healthier. Scripture hearts, surprise service and more. Still in the works. With a healthy body and spirit, we will be better prepared to uplift the hearts of others.

10 comments:

nanci said...

LOVE this idea! I've been trying to think about items for the 14 days - this will give me some new ideas.

Marcy said...

Such a great idea...way to be prepared!!

Smilin' sunshine said...

I think everyday that someone does something for the 14 days of Valentines, they should put on their blog what they did! I always need EASY ideas.
Way to plan ahead!

Michelle said...

Great ideas. I love the healthy & spiritual spin on a way-too-commercial holiday.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to your posts!
xo

LL said...

you are a good woman!

Trueman twins said...

Great idea! Last year I felt like so much centered around the junky stuff. I"ll have to try those pancakes they sound delicious!

Company EIGHT said...

What a great idea! I need to try those pancakes too...they look delicious

Rachel said...

You are a very cool mommy. I'm buying my kids each a box of valentines themed in the t.v. personality of their choice. That's about it.

Jamie said...

Great idea. I loved your 14 days of Valentines (I'm probably not saying this right) last year.

Hey have you ever made a smoothie with spinach? They're really great as long as you get enough blueberries to change the color to a dark purple. Fill the blender with spinach then add blueberries, yogurt, water or juice, and pineappl or whatever else sounds good. My kids will even eat it, as long as they get a straw.