My photo
From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Looking Back to See Ahead

Little Miss Sunshine - 5 1/2 months old



So as it slowly hits me that I actually will have a second child in a few months, I'm beginning to worry as I can't really remember what it's like to have an infant. Oh, and if I haven't mentioned it already, I'm expecting another girl. I think from my teaching years, I'm just more comfortable with toddlers and up. I felt like once Little Miss Sunshine hit six months or so, I was ok and I could do it. I could be a mom after all! I've been trying to look back a bit to remember what it was like. I know each baby is different so I should not expect this one to be the same or act the same. We've really had it pretty good so far with Little Miss Sunshine. She's been a sweet little girl. Naturally she has her moments as we all do, but she has blessed our lives greatly. I worry that I will have forgotten how to nurse, how to function on not very much sleep, how to hold her so I don't drop her, how to swaddle, how to give birth (uggh!) and it goes on. And, what if, what if she fits that 25% chance that she too has a hearing loss but hers is really severe or profound. What if she is compeletely Deaf, with a capital D? What if she can't hear at all? It would break my heart again but we'd move forward and deal with it. Why do we even think of these things? Why do waste time worrying? Perhpas, just perhaps I could just allow myself to bask in the joy of the moment- I'm going to have a baby girl!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

So normal you are.
Worry, bask and wait. It's a wonderful, terrible thing to be a mom. And now that it's not the first time, you can worry and rejoice over so much more. You'll do great! I'm ALMOST jealous. Enjoy every toe-curling moment of babyhood! YOU.ARE.AWESOME. I can just tell.

Swimmingmom said...

Thanks Jenny, that totally made my day!

nanci said...

Welcome to motherhood! Rest assured, as soon as your sweet baby daughter is placed in your arms it will all come back to you!

Trueman twins said...

Why do we always "what if" ourselves and create so much anxiety? I think it comes with the X chromosomes!
You are an incredible mom and have been so proactive in helping LMS with her hearing deficit. Who better than to help a completely deaf baby than you? Heavenly Father is so wise when he allows us to come to the homes that we choose! LMS sure did choose the right home and so did this sweet little girl growing inside you!

LL said...

SHE SHE SHE!!!

She will be perfect. SHE will be loved. SHE will be blessed with a great big sister. And SHE will be such a blessing.

Can't wait to meet HER!

CONGRATS!!!

Christy said...

You are already a fabulous mom, what makes you think you would change it up? It is so so hard not to worry, it is our faith that keeps us going sometimes. You have lots! Believe me!
Yea for girls!

Company EIGHT said...

Don't worry, it will all come back to you. We had a 7 1/2 year space between our oldest, and the girls. I was nervous--wondering if I would remember anything at all. I did, and so will you!
You are such a great mom--Little Miss Sunshine and your new baby girl are both very lucky!!

smart mama said...

you'll be fabulous, the worries be lost!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you're a great mom to LMS and you'll be a great mom to her little sister. All those instincts will come back to you. As for her health, It is in the Lord's hands and He will guide you through any problems that you face. So don't worry about all of that, just enjoy her!!!

Becky said...

LUCKY! Lucky that you are having another girl. It's so normal to worry but also remember that whatever happens, you will triumph. I ditto all of Jenny's comments. We're related so I'm allowed to do that. ;)

Leah said...

I love the pictures! Little Miss Sunshine is adorable! Like everyone has said, you'll do great with your next little bundle of joy! You have done an amazing job with #1 and you will do an amazing job with #2!

Casdok said...

Gorgeous photos! Us mums are good at worrying!

Jamie said...

Yay for another girl! I'm sure she is going to be a beauty. When the time comes (I can't believe its coming so soon) I'm sure you'll enjoy it all.

Lei said...

Worrying is the sign of vested mother! But relax, you'll do great as you have with Liss Miss Sunshine... who's so super cute, by the way.

;)