My photo
From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

You've Got Mail

One of my favorite things of the Christmas season is walking across the street, opening the mailbox and seeing the red, green, and white envelopes waiting to be opened. I love receiving Christmas cards in the mail, especially where most of my good friends are far away, in the West or spread across the country. It is unfortunate that year after year the postage rate increases which in turn decreases the length of names on the Christmas card lists. Not only can it be expensive to purchase or print cards, it's pricey to mail them out. Every few years I notice my stack of cards received dwindles in size. I do miss my old friends and reading the updates of their families. I especially love seeing the photos of their growing families. For some, this was the only time of year that we would correspond. I miss them and wish more of the mail would come. Thankfully, at least there is Facebook to keep in touch with those who have shortened their lists ;-)

Over the past few years I've noticed many people, including myself, send digitally printed photo cards with a message pre-written. As much as I love these cards and seeing the various pictures, I miss the personal handwritten messages. I realize writing a short note to each person on the list is time consuming, but at times I just miss the good 'ol days with tradition and thoughtfulness. I certainly am not perfect in this department as it was a busy season for me as well. I did try to write short messages on the back of my cards just to let me friends and family know that I am personally thinking of them. I suppose I just miss the more personal aspect, but I should just be glad to still be on the list of some and remind myself that I am still thought of.

2 comments:

LL said...

couldn't agree more!!!

smart mama said...

i love card season- i always try to do a personal note- but this year i failed- next yea ri'll resume!