In searching through some of my old classroom materials for something I needed,I came across this poem with photos of some of my favorite young students I had taught in the past. Their disabilities and diagnoses range from Medically Fragile, Autism, Athetoid Cerebral Palsy, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, etc. I wish I could post picture of these smiling bright children, but for confidentiality, I cannot. I'd imagine we all have some seemingly "different" kids in our lives.
KIDS WHO ARE DIFFERENT
Here's to the kids who are different,
The kids who don't always get A's,
The kids who have ears twice the size of their peers,
And noses that go on for days....
Here's to the kids who are different.
The kids they call crazy and dumb,
The kids who don't fit, with the guts and the grit,
Who dance to a different drum...
Here's to the kids who are different,
The kids with the mischievous streak,
For when they have grown, as history's shown,
It's their difference that makes them unique.
-copyright 1982 by Digby Wolfe.
- Swimmingmom
- From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.
Friday, December 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
LOVED that!!! thanks.
Great poem! It really is the differences that make our world so fun.
Love the poem, thanks for sharing!!
Post a Comment