My photo
From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Things I Could Do Without

I wonder why people just don't have any tact sometimes. Why do people just have to spill whatever is on their minds without regard to the receiver of the comment? I'd imagine every woman who has been pregnant has their fair share of things to complain about. Rightly so. I certainly do.

A couple of things I could do without (I may add more later, but am too tired to remember):
1. Comments about how big I've gotten. "Oh my, you sure are blossoming, aren't you." "You're really out there now, huh." (that was just this morning as I ran into Little Miss Sunshine's service coordinator on our way into the Early Intervention group). Or how about, "Wow, you are REALLY big."(last weekend from an in-law at a birthday party). Um, no kidding, but you're STILL bigger than me buster (I wanted to say, but bit my tongue). Why can't people just leave it at, "Hope you are feeling well. How are you doing these days?"

2. Sleepless nights. I thought these ended once your child supposedly slept through the night. That happened a long time ago, but why is it that a 2.3 year old suddenly needs me three times in the middle of the night to sing yet again, "High On a Mountain Top" or "I Am a Child of God"? At least she's requesting uplifting songs I suppose. If it isn't her waking me up, it's Guitar Daddy desperately trying to get to work early. Um, excuse me, I'm trying to sleep here! Finally, it's just not easy to sleep anymore, period. Perhaps I am in training for the weeks ahead when I really don't get any sleep.

6 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

I feel your pain and I am not even pregnant. I am not sure the sleeping thing gets better. I don't have anyone waking me up, and I wake myself up several times a night. Don't know the problem, but I feel for you!

Michelle said...

My favorite comments while pregnant were "Wow, are you having twins?" and AFTER delivering being asked, "Aren't you having that baby any day now?" LOL. I bet you look great!! That lack of sleep is a killer though. My theory is that the pregnancy has to get so miserable that you're willing to give birth. :)

Unknown said...

Ummm, not to pop your bubble, but actually, you're being slowly and patiently trained for the YEARS ahead of not enough sleep. I'm think in the middle of it, and can't wait to crawl in for my meager allotment! Motherhood sure does come with its perks, no?

Rachel said...

AMEN!!!! I am having both of the same problems these days. My favorite comment the other day was, "Wow - when are you due? Like, yesterday?" I was kind of fun to tell the lady that I still had ten weeks to go. People should never say anything. Ever. And kids should sleep. Always. But I don't think either of those things are going to happen!

Jamie said...

Those kinds of comments are always worse when you're pregnant. On second thought maybe they only exist when you're pregnant. I absolutely hate hearing the one about "you look like you're going to pop" even when its not directed toward me.

Trueman twins said...

I laughed really hard when I read this! People just think they can blurt out whatever comes to mind!