My photo
From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.

Monday, April 13, 2009

First time Easter


This was the first year we held Easter at our home. Above is a photo of Little Miss Sunshine and her two cousins. Guitar Daddy's extended family came over for a total of 16 people. Well, two were sick and were unable to come at the last minute. I was so grateful that everyone chipped in and brought something which helped a lot since we had church in the morning. Our home isn't too big as we live in a little cape style house, but we managed to have everyone seated at a table. Unfortunately in time, as families continue to grow, I don't think we'll be able to continue it that way.

I found some carrot shaped bags at Walmart and brilliant me thought it would be so great to fill them with orange jelly bellies and put them on everyone plates. While at the cash register at the candy store I nearly fell over when my purchase rang up to $72. Oops. Guitar Daddy would not be pleased. My father-in-law called and said he would make the ham. Normally that would be great, and just think, that would deduct some money off my jelly belly bill! Of course I had already purchased the ham ($23). I hate ham and would never make it for ourselves, and it was too late to return it, so at least I was able to serve my neighbors and give them a nice ham.

Little Miss Sunshine was delighted with her Easter basket and loved all of the little trinkets. She especially enjoyed the wind up bunny which pleased me as I intentionally purchased it knowing what a great fine motor activity it would be. She was thrilled to wear a new pink dress, but not as happy to wear a hand quilted jacket sewn by one of my mother's friends. Please just keep it on for a few minutes, I have to send Grandma a picture!

A novice bread baker, I was happy my rolls turned out just right. Maybe there's hope after all! I was a little disappointed that after my hard and loving work, no one commented on the homemade rolls. Oh well.

We had a short Easter egg hunt in our yard. Overall it was a nice day and at the end, Guitar Daddy was even able to share his testimony of the resurrection with his family, all of whom are not members of our church.

6 comments:

Company EIGHT said...

I love that pic of Little Miss Sunshine sitting on your fireplace. SO adorable! The jelly belly carrots are awfully cute...$72 would be a shock to me too! I'm glad you had such a wonderful Easter!

Jamie said...

Good job on the rolls. Too bad nobody noticed. Little Miss Sunshine is so beautiful. In the picture with the pink dress her hair looks a little red. she has beautiful hair!

Leah said...

I can't believe on how bit Little Miss Sunshine is getting! She's beautiful!

Trueman twins said...

I loved that LMS and lambie matched. So cute. You did a beautiful job on the place settings. Even if the jelly beans were a lot it definitely made it look festive!

Christy said...

The lamb and the pink dress is just the sweetest picture! I snagged a couple things at Target this week for 75% off, to save for next year. I've noticed if I do that every year, decorations can be built up fast and cheap. But I suppose you can' t save a ham!

Unknown said...

You CAN do Easter with more than 16! You just put the food out, and people will find a place to sit. This year we had 31! Crazy, but fun. Good job! Everything looks beautiful.