- Swimmingmom
- From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Candid.
I've been a bit absent from the blogging world lately. Well, even the computer world I suppose. Ok, so a teeny bit of time on Facebook, but that's about it. I have to say that I've been reading more, crafting, and using my time much better, but I do miss hearing about online friends and associations. I had a moment a month or so ago when I just deleted myself from everything as though I could just delete myself from the world. It wasn't planned, but spontaneous on my part in a dark moment of sadness and loneliness. As much as I enjoy reading blogs, participating on message boards and getting updates on Facebook, I sometimes wonder what it's all about and realize I need to take a step back. Do I really know these people? Are they really my friends? Do I actually have friends in real life? I'm not asking for answers to these questions, just sorting through the idea of computer based relationships and interactions. Are they truly fulfilling to us and on what level? I haven't really come to a full conclusion yet, and I obviously haven't worked through all my thoughts, but these are the things that I wonder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
(I'll be your friend! But I don't do Facebook)
I respect that you question these relationships... it's gotta be real. But here's a GREAT post on this exact theme:
http://basicjoy.blogspot.com/2009/06/life-shopping.html
Copy it into your address bar and check it out. I'm cheering you on!
GO swimmingmom!!
xoxo
I'm in a similar phase. It's a little to easy to have a ton of time sucked away online and not enough time in the "real" world. But I am glad that it put us back in touch! If you figure out how to balance it all, be sure to post! :)
I am not sure I have those same questions, because I definately have opinions.
I often feel that these somputer things are making real life social interactions happen less and less. Before blogging and FB(which I don't do~FB this is) I felt like there was a lot more visiting and actual conversing going on. Face to face interactions. I am not saying the computer is a bad thing, just a little sad about the lack of personal interaction because of it!
Sorry, I just have a strong opinion about this. Not that I do much to change it lately. And I muust admit that sometimes it is nice to be able to stay in touch without having to spend so much time.
Thanks for the link Jenny!!!!!
Michelle- that is one thing that I have loved about the blogs is that I am back in touch with you. I've really enjoyed seeing photos and hearing stories about your children since I never get to see you. Keep posting, I love hearing from you!
smilin sunshine- that's pretty much what I was getting at. As nice as it is to read people's ideas and thoughts and see some of their happenings, there's so much to be said about really spending time and having face to face exchanges with others.
i love you!
Post a Comment