My photo
From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Diving In; Finally

Take your mark, bang! The gun sounded, but I remain on the starting block, not sure whether I really want to swim in this race. It's not my best stroke you know, why would I want to put myself into an event where I might not win? I haven't even practiced for this one. I stand half naked as I don my swim suit, cap, and goggles now fogged. I watch the waves made by all those seemingly faster, more inshape competitors. But wait, what's that? Look at that person's stroke. It could use some work. That person certainly is NOT going to win. I certainly could beat them. Why would they race if they weren't ready to compete? Then it hit me. Maybe that person just likes to swim. Maybe she doesn't care that she's not the best, the most watched, the most admired. Maybe she swims for the exercise it affords. The sense of accomplishment. A purpose. A way of expression. Reaching to new heights. Ok, that's it, I'm diving in. My new event- blogging.

13 comments:

Lei said...

Yahoo! You're gonna have fun, that's the most important thing. Welcome to blogland. :o)

lackrik said...

YAY! Welcome to the world of bloggers!

Just "freestyle" it and you'll find out it's great exercise for the mind! lol

Courtney said...

Welcome!! As my kids always say, "It's not a race!"

lyn said...

do it, do it, do it!!

Meemer said...

hi, my name is meemer, and i'm a blog addict...

welcome sister blogger. i like your first post.

smart mama said...

yay- long awaited, now do some more "laps"

nanci said...

Glad you've joined in the "club"! I'm looking forward to reading more from you!

Swimmingmom said...

Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for reading my first post.
Lackrik- I love the "freestyle" comment.
Nanci- how did you know I finally started my blog?

Christy said...

Hooray! The hardest part is the getting wet.
Can't wait to be updated!

Jamie said...

you seem like a pretty serious competitor to me.

erin said...

okay- how come I wasn't invited to your first swim meet!??

I enjoyed your comment on LL blog about why we blog. I am in-line with your thinking. i am still on the block-waiting for my whistle to blow-if it ever will.

Look forward to reading what you post-no judgments, no expectations, no critiques, just friendship

Swimmingmom said...

Thanks erin, that was sweet.

LL said...

FUN!!! I had no idea you started!!! what a FABULOUS intro, you're so creative.