My photo
From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.

Monday, October 27, 2008

Camp Nashoba Day - A Tribute



Camp Nashoba Day, a very special place. It's easy to sense it's splendor the moment one enters the gates and embarks down the long wooded driveway. It's hard to explain what it is that makes it so special. It's a day camp for boys and girls ages 4 to 15. Activities taught range from swimming, to archery, to candle, to sail. The activities are endless as are the skills and talents the young children develop from years of attendance.

The social aspect of the camp is notable. Once a part of Nashoba, always a part. There's a certain love for the place that one gains whether an employee or camper. I'm not an avid camper, but I love Camp Nashoba. The draw to it each summer cannot be explained to those unfamiliar. There's a certain bond of all who attend that makes each individual a part of a greater family. It's a place where each person feels a part of something unique and something worthy they are contributing to. Campers that I taught to swim when they were 4 are now counselors. Overtime, their children will attend, continuing the legacy.

I have been affiliated with camp for 13 summers over the period of 15 years, taking two off to complete a graduate degree. It's difficult for me to imagine summer without Camp Nashoba. I appreciate the top down organization and the traditional values the camp instills. I have intereacted with many amazing, creative, talented individuals whom I have learned and grown from. My own teaching skills have improved because of my time there.

This past weekend, sadly, the owner, founder, and director of Camp Nashoba, Robert Seaward, past away in his sleep. He was 84 years old. He, his wife, and family have spent their lives providing many with unforgettable summers and the beginning of a colorful journey. I am grateful for the kindness he and his family have shown me and the legacy he left is undying.

3 comments:

josiee said...

This is beautiful Donna! You did such a great job at capturing and discribing all the important aspects of camp. Mr. Bob would be proud :)

nanci said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings about camp. It sounds like a wonderful place. I hope that it will continue on for many more years.

Trueman twins said...

What a nice tribute. I wish we weren't so far away I know A & A would love it there! Especially with such a wonderful swim instructor. :-)