
Patriots Day. The day of the yearly Boston Marathon. Today my friend's daughter, Kate, is running in her honor. A run to show her love and support of her mother, Kathy Scales, the lifelong giver. I love what her daughter wrote on her facebook group page:
Cancer is something that affects so many of us on a personal level. It became a harsh reality for my family with my mother's diagnosis of metastatic colon cancer in December, 2003. Over the past six years she has undergone multiple surgeries, hospitalizations, and procedures as well as chemotherapy and radiation treatments.
Through it all, she has maintained her ability to find humor in every situation. This past November, doctors informed us of their plan to temporarily stop chemotherapy treatments to prepare for a surgery which would involve the removal of part of her sternum, then replacing it with tissue from her abdomen. Upon hearing of plans for this surgery, she simply smiled and replied, "so, I get to take a [chemo] vacation, have a boob job and liposuction all in one shot?" She truly appreciates the gift of life. Through her battle, her faith and positive, upbeat nature in the face of adversity have proven that it's possible to beat the odds.
Whether she's taking on the role of wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, teacher, mentor, neighbor, or friend, my mother has always made her life about others. Running the Boston Marathon is my way of showing her we are all in this together. Her constant strength and perseverance are things that I hope to carry with me all the way to Boylston Street on April 19th.
I will be running the 2010 Boston Marathon in her honor, in support of the ongoing fight against cancer, and in memory of those who have lost their battle. It is my hope that my mother will be able to share her cancer survivor story one day. Through research, a cure can be found.
As I am writing this, just moments ago I received a phone call from a friend informing me that Kathy passed away either late last night or early this morning.
Kathy Scales has been a co-worker, dear friend, and a mother of sorts to me over the past 10 years. She is the mother of eight, in true Catholic form. Kathy always gave and gave and gave. She was fun, vibrant, and full of energy. A good friend to all. She was never without a good story to tell. When Kathy was around, you never had to worry about keeping a conversation going. We co-taught and our classrooms adjoined. When I was no longer teaching, her classroom door was always open to me and she welcomed Little Miss Sunshine and me to play with her students at anytime. It was never a disruption. I remember her great creativity. I often found her putting together cardboard boxes to create a John Deer tractor, a car, a gingerbread house, a space ship, etc. I could never keep up! She sacrificed even for me. I'd have the better materials, the better classroom, etc. When she developed an activity, she'd make a set for my classroom too. She gave in so many ways. She was truly a Christ-like example to me.
Now as a mother, I often remember her stories of her own time as a young mother and have incorporated many of her suggestions into my own mothering. Above all, as a mother, she truly found joy in her journey, finding happiness in the small daily moments.
Kathy, you will always be a dear friend and I know I will see you again one day. I love you!


9 comments:
so touching! I'm sorry about your friend Donna.
She sounds like an amazing lady. I wonder if her daughter was able to run with such high emotions. If so, she certainly has an angel cheering her on!
Thanks Laura! Yeah, we all wonder the same, if Kate ended up running. We'll see.
Thank you for sharing this touching story. I hope that Kathy's family will feel the peace and comfort the Savior can bring to them.
My sympathies are with you also.
That was very sweet, thank you Nanci.
LL- Kate did the run marathon after all! What a race that must have been!
I bet it was cathartic for her daughter to run through and past her emotions over the outcome. Donna your friend sounds like an amazing woman. I am sure she will be welcomed with open arms by her family above.
She is an amazing woman Lisette. You're right she will be welcomed with open arms. Thanks for your sweet sentiments.
What a beautiful story!
I love her and don't even know her. Thanks for sharing Donna.
I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. She certainly seemed to be a wonderful person and I hope her family is doing well during these hard days.
This really, really touched me. I'm so sorry about your friend. Just hearing about her inspires me--to do better, and be better. What an amazing role model. I'm glad those wonderful memories of her will be with you always.
Post a Comment