This evening I participated in my first Town Meeting. I can't help but feel I am a little closer to being a "grown-up" now. I've been meaning to attend for months now, but always seem to have a hearing loss meeting or something else scheduled the same day. I was so happy to have had this evening open. My parents live in the same town as me, for a few months in the year at least. They live in Florida for most of the year and are actually Florida residents. However, always involved in their communities, they know more of events taking place here in my little town while they are away then I ever would be aware of. Naturally, they emailed reminders several times of the town meeting stressing the importance of my vote. If I want to see improvement in my town, I need to be active. Since they read the town paper and were aware of some of the issues, they provieded some suggestions on how to vote on some specific articles.
Off I went to the meeting held in the high school auditorium that was crammed with over 575 residents. As I waited in line to check-in and receive my voters card, I clutched the printed email of the articles my parents suggested I vote on and how I might vote. I really had no idea what to expect and was not quite sure of what I was voting on in the first place. I just trusted that my parents seem to make good decisons, so at least this was a good start to my involvement.
I was fascinated how the meeting ran. Many of the articles were addressed out of order as townspeople requested some changes. Interestingly, we never got to the articles my parents mentioned. As it turned out articles discussed and voted upon carried a lot of weight for the future of our town and had some great significance to me and my family. I felt so happy to be able to make my own decisions and actually understand what I was voting on. I have to say, I got a rush from that experience. I came home so elated and talked a mile a minute as I described the turn of events to my husband. I'm now eager to learn more of my community and what I can do to help make it an even nicer place to be and raise children.
- Swimmingmom
- From the age of 5, seemingly endless hours were spent in the pool as I swam for New England Swimming/AAU. The smell of chlorine is nostalgic. During life's tough times, I draw on my swimming experiences of discipline, coupled with my faith in Jesus Christ. I spent many years out west for my schooling in speech-language pathology and special education, before returning to NE to teach. Although I have a passion for teaching young children with special needs, I currently am at home with my own 2 sweet girls, both of whom have sensorineural hearing loss and are the greatest gifts in my life.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I love attending our town meeting (unless the discussion turns nasty!). Isn't small town NE great?
Wow, good for you! I have never gone to a town meeting but I've thought about it occassionally for the last several years. I have recently joined the school community counsel. Its different than the PTA in that we actually vote on school policies. Its also a great place for me to voice my concerns on the high number of field trips the kids have each year. You know, I'm realizing that its one thing to complain to other people about things you're having a hard time with (especially at school) and another thing to actually try to do something about it. I'm also impressed with the people in meetings like this that really try to understand each sides perspective instead of getting worked up just about what they believe.
I remember when I started voting I would always ask my dad questions since he seemed to be the most informed on topics. It is great to be able to rely on parents for their council. At least at this point in life we mostly take it!
Way to go on being an active member of your town.
Post a Comment